The campaign

The PPC campaign for this case study was setup and made live today, November 22, 2010, at 5:00 pm. Here are the steps I took:

  • Created two new campaigns. One campaign for the search network and one campaign for display only. I am initially targeting all English-speaking markets worldwide. I excluded mobile phones from the display campaign. My experience with mobile phones is that you tend to get a lot of bad clicks.
  • Created two ads for each campaign/adgroup. This allows for split testing.
  • I set the budgets as follows: search $2 a day, display $3 a day.
  • I set the default bids for both campaigns at a low .15 cents a click. This is way below the suggested bid amount from Google, which was recommending keyword bids of anywhere from $2.50 a click to $3.50 a click to get on the first page of results. I used this amount because I have only two competitors for these keywords: Amazon and Borders. I should be able to get impressions even with this low ball amount. If not, then I’ll have to make adjustments.
  • I created a long list of negative keywords. There apparently are a number of books, songs, and video games with the title of Unbroken.

Here is a screenshot of ad 1

Here is ad 2

Note that I am clear in the ad what type of content the ad leads to. There is no attempt to mislead. This will help cut down the number of bad clicks.

I am using a very limited number of keywords. I am also using some keyword modifiers and phrase matching. Here is the list for both campaigns:

And here is the list of negative keywords.

“Charles Papernik”
“Lynrd Skynyrd”
“Missy Higgins”
“sound track”
“Tim McGraw”
“world of warcraft”
acupuncture
adrift
apparel
band
chain
circle
clothing
concentration
Crossfit
definition
fate
fates
glass
horse
lyric
lyrics
Matthews
McPhee
music
Negative keyword
promise
promises
Rachel Bilson
Randall Robinson
record
song
soundtrack
stan walker
theatre
thread
tradition
trailer
video
videos
voices
window

Speak Your Mind

*