It’s been a while since I updated my experience using Adwords to promote my book 35 Miles From Shore. What had originally been planned as a three-month experiment back in 2010 continues to this day. You can read about the original goal of the case study in the post Adwords for Authors: A Case Study. […]
Since ending the Unbroken campaign in January, I’ve seen book sales trickle down to previous levels or 40 to 50 a month. I was liking the 100 books month better. And Laura’s book is kicking butt on all of the best nonfiction lists. And as more people finish reading the book, the larger my potential audience becomes.
The Unbroken campaign was shut down as planned on January 22 after a two month run. It was a tough decision. I contemplated letting it run a while longer. I won’t have final sales numbers for another few weeks, and even then I won’t have sales figures for the exact period in which the campaign […]
As I approach the final three days of the Unbroken Adwords campaign, I made a number of changes that will hopefully drive more sales and give me one last opportunity to make it on to the Amazon book page for Unbroken. While there’s little chance to make it on the regular book page, I might be able to get on the Kindle book page. The Kindle version of 35 Miles From Shore has been in the top one through three position for aviation titles for the past week.
It’s been an interesting month. I have made quite a few changes since I started this case study. The biggest change has been a completely redesigned website. More on that later. I won’t have sales data for the first month of the campaign for several weeks. The early indications are that I will have sales […]
The Unbroken campaign has been running now for one full week. During this period I have raised the default and individual keywords bids for both search and display. I have also decided to run a parallel campaign on Microsoft Adcenter. So now searches on Bing are displaying the same ads as those on Google. An […]
The Unbroken campaign has been running now for four days. In those four days, I’ve made a few adjustments in response to the data from Adwords. The biggest adjustment was an increase in my bid price for the search campaign. I had started with a default bid of just .15 cents a click. Despite having […]
The PPC campaign for this case study was setup and made live today, November 22, 2010, at 5:00 pm. Here are the steps I took:
One of the great things about search advertising is the ability to measure performance. Purchase an ad in a magazine or newspaper and you’re only guessing what impact your advertising efforts are having on sales. With search advertising, you can drill down all the way to the keyword level to find out what’s working and what isn’t.
In order to get the most out of any PPC campaign, it’s important that the ad and landing page contain some or all of the search terms being used. Since I’ll be setting up a campaign that targets people searching or browsing for information on Laura Hillenbrand’s new book Unbroken, I need to create a specific landing page that contains these search terms.
The idea for this case study was born in January of 2009. That date may not seem significant to you until I mention the fact that this was the day that USAir Flight 1549 ditched in the Hudson River. The accident was especially significant to me personally because I had written and published a book about a lesser known airline ditching that had occurred in 1970. My book 35 Miles From Shore: The Ditching and Rescue of ALM Flight 980 tells the true story of the first and only open-water ditching of a commercial jet and the efforts to rescue those who survived.